Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Book Review: Darcy's Passions

Darcy's Passions: Pride and Prejudice Retold Through His Eyes  by Regina Jeffers

Every so often I like to read a Not Good book.  That is, I pick something that requires nothing of me, that's easy to read and easy to forget.  Since I am an admitted lover of Jane Austen's work, I have an unfortunate addiction to all the assorted sequels, variations, and other fan fiction that finds its way into print.  Most of it falls into the circle of Not Good.

This does not equal Bad.  A Bad book is another creature entirely.  I avoid Bad Books.  I resist giving them my time.

So, here we have a fan service novel where the writer goes into the territory Austen herself did not feel qualified to enter.  There are no surprises here -- the writer slips in how she would have tied up the various loose threads in the original story, and then continues the weave beyond the final line of Austen's work to imagine the first few months of Darcy and Elizabeth as a married couple.

The worst I can say of this particular book is that it could have used a better editor with more of a grasp on 18th and 19th century language.  Many anachronistic slips occurred, especially when Jeffers is creating dialog for the characters.  These were jarring, because otherwise she managed to keep things smooth and predictable.  She did a good job of that otherwise.

Yes, the various side characters she chose to amplify tended to have very modern ideas.  Her ideas of character development tended to be restricted to "Strong but weak.  Confident but unsure.  Kind but cruel."  However, all the real character development was done by Austen in the original novel, so she didn't need to do any heavy lifting.  Tensions between characters already existed and she just gave a view of them from different eyes.  Nothing was going to change.  Her biggest problems began when she moved away from the solid ground of the novels into her extensions, where everything took on a sheen of Teen Angst and Young Love.

None of these problems interfered with my enjoyment of the book while it lasted, however,  It' a Not Good book, as I said.  It fulfilled its purpose in letting me relax before bed, not putting any negative thoughts into my mind, and being entertaining enough.  It didn't contradict the original novel or my ideas about it, it didn't commit any egregious errors, and it didn't take itself too seriously.  In all, a satisfying Not Good book experience.

1 comment:

Jammies said...

I am always happy to hear of a Not Good Book (and also always happy when you can sleep at night).