Thursday, December 17, 2015

Reading Lately

I'm still plowing through audio books in the Sandman Slim series -- Aloha from Hell , Devil Said Bang,  a short story called Devil in the Dollhouse, and now I'm into Kill City Blues.

This isn't a perfect series -- no series is really perfect and why would anyone want that? -- but I'm hooked.  I'm watching the main character, practically the greyist anti-hero I've run into, change and mature while still being just as difficult to like.  That's a challenge I can get into.

I still have a lot of unfinished books, bookmarks waving at me, inducing guilt that I take up with a new book rather than dealing with what I started and finishing up properly.  I don't think any of them are books I want to break up with before the end.  That's how I think of it, by the way.  When I give up on a book, when I take my marker out of it, close it, and put it on a pile for donation or whatever, I've broken up with that book.  Every time I open a book it's a new relationship that has a beginning, a middle, and an end.  Some books I revisit  over and over again, and they are like long term friends.  Others are just one night stands and that's fine -- it's fun and it's over.

Series, especially long series that I get into before they end, are like marriages only without children and community property. One or the other of us will end first, or there will be a divorce caused by betrayal and anger or just weary indifference.

Such a stack of books I want to read and haven't read yet.  Always it seems like either I have something else I must do, or I'm too tired to focus, or there's something going on that distracts me.  I haven't managed to sit down with a book in my hands more than a couple of times this month.

I have to figure out how to do better.  Probably limiting my online time would help.  Ah, Internet, you are a fascinating time suck!

No comments: