Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Review: Zombie Spaceship Wasteland

 Zombie Spaceship Wasteland: A Book by Patton Oswalt

"Bugdick, bugdick, oatmeal pants"

That is a line from an old hobo song about the glories of springtime...at least, that's what Patton Oswalt has told me and I am convinced.  The lines are on repeat in my head, because I listened to the audio version of this book (which means I didn't see the graphic novel part because I can't open the stupid PDF, but I'll mess with that later) and these were actually sung.

I can't really review this book because I can't adequately phrase my response to it in words.  It requires interpretive dance, I think, and possibly some tissue paper flower garlands.  I'm not much of a dancer, so I'm stuck.

Would I recommend others read (or, ideally, listen) to this book?  Certainly, but with caveats.  If you've never really understood D&D or Star Trek or Bladerunner, I'd suggest you read something else, as beautiful parts of this book will simply not be available to your interpretation.  If you have to Google Harlan Ellison or Warren Ellis because the names are completely unfamiliar to you, you might run into trouble (not because Oswalt discusses them extensively, but...it's handy background information to have while reading, like it's handy to know where Russia is when reading/watching The Hunt For Red October.)

Upon reflection, perhaps the line from the song is "Bugdickin', bugdickin', oatmeal pants."  It's a bit hard to tell over the pops and cracks of the recording.

Patton (I just want to call him Patton.  Calling him Oswalt is more pseudo-professional than I want to be, and calling him Sad Boy is just rude.) is so much fun to hear.  I woke up at 3 am with the beginnings of the day's headache, and decided to continue with his book (which I had started the previous evening) because it was plain I wouldn't be sleeping for a while and I might as well be entertained.  It was a good idea.  When exhaustion finally won out over pain, my mood was improved by....what, exactly?  Not his sunny outlook and smiling disposition, certainly, and I can't say I laughed aloud at any point.  I was amused.  Perhaps that isn't what a comedian really wants, but there it is.  I smiled softly and nodded my head and was amused.  I wouldn't have gotten up to go to the bathroom (well, as it was an audio book, I could take my media device with me into the bathroom and simply backed up to hear anything I might have missed during the time there.)  I was content to be listening.  I was curious as to what came next.  In fact, I kinda had to find out what he would say next.

So I guess Patton won.  I'm content with that.  I also suspect that if Patton Oswalt were to spew out some fake facts in his sincere "I'm a geek sharing my geekdom" voice, I'd go right along, and isn't that what we want from our writers?



Ahhah!  Everything is on the Interwebinet!  Check this and, at about minute 18, some of the hobo song bits show up (the audio book versions are better, of course).  Not my favorite, of course, but I suspect the bit was in process.

No comments: