Monday, January 05, 2015

Will You Take the Challenge?

Jammies at Curmudgeonette posted about BOOK RIOT on our favorite social media network.  I took a look and decided I like the idea of "reading harder".  So, I went through the list of challenges and picked out some I would accept for myself.  My goal is to find books that meet these challenges from among those I have lining those 10 shelves in my office.  So, this year I will read

  • A book written by someone under the age of 25
  • A book written by someone over the age of 65
  • A collection of short stories
  • A book published by an indie press
  • A book that takes place in Asia
  • A book by an author from Africa
  • A book by or about someone from an indigenous culture
  • A microhistory
  • A YA novel
  • An SF novel
  • A Romance novel
  • A National Book Award/Man Booker Prize/Pulitzer Prize winner from the last decade (2000-2010)
  • A retelling of a Classic tale
  • A book originally written in a different language
  • A graphic novel or comics collection
  • A guilty pleasure
  • A book published before 1850
  • A book published this year (2015)
  • A self-improvement book
I've added a couple of challenges myself
  • A biography/autobiography by someone I don't know
  • A book by or about an LGBTQ person
  • A book by a person of color
  • A book with a person of color as the main character
Some of the books I read I think will fall under more than one challenge. 

No comments: