Sunday, January 25, 2015

Review: Drug & Drop V1 (Manga)


Drug & Drop V1 by CLAMP

I went through my manga phase about 6 years ago, and among my favorites (in fact, I'd say my absolute favorite) was Legal Drug, a CLAMP Manga published by the now defunct Tokyo Pop, that, unfortunately, stopped before it was finished as the creators concentrated on other projects.  It languished for years, and while I was able to read one or two issues that weren't released in the US online, it just wasn't the same.  I figured it was my curse come into another medium (the curse that dictates any TV show I really love will be canceled before it is finished -- if the show is very popular and I stop watching, it might wobble, suffer scheduling changes, drift around, and generally have problems, but it might survive.  Most do not.  That's a different post.)

However, at long last the manga continues.  I've awaited this issue of the new version for months and I devoured it upon arrival in my mailbox.

I haven't quite figured out why I enjoy this particular story so much.  Yes, pretty, pretty boys and lots of suggested homoeroticism (yaoi goodness) but that isn't really the big point of reading these.  The art is beautiful, as is usual with a CLAMP title, but I've resisted a lot of their more popular stories.  I just like this one -- the mystery of the story, the tiny drops of information, the "saying things without saying things", the resistance the characters have to the ties that bind them together -- that's got me snagged.  I've sampled a lot of manga that just didn't catch me like this one has.

I'm excited that another edition of the story will be showing up in May (yes, I pre-order) and I have high hopes that CLAMP will give this story the full execution and proper ending it deserves.  If they could haul Tokyo Babylon to its end (a title I didn't enjoy nearly as much and, in fact, found pretty frustrating), certainly they can do it with this much superior story.

This title also fulfills three of the Book Riot challenges I took:

  •  a book that takes place in Asia
  •  a book originally written in a different language
  •  a graphic novel/comic collection.

My copies of Legal Drug are in storage, but I just found an Omnibus ebook edition which I will pick up so I can re-read the original story without digging through boxes.

No comments: