Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My New Camera

I love love love my new camera.  It's a Nikon Coolpix 18x.  I didn't think I would like it as much as I do.

You see, I was very fond of my (comparatively) elderly Canon digital.  It had a viewfinder, which let me find a compromise with my vision -- this whole nearsighted/farsighted/astigmatic thing has made my life complex.  I now have 4 (yes, FOUR) pairs of glasses with different lenses, plus sunglasses, plus a pair of stunt glasses with my regular prescription.  Two are just magnifiers, but, dammit, I need those anymore (plus I am pretty sure my readers need updating).  Anyway, this meant that if I used the viewscreen, I couldn't hold it far enough away to see both the picture and the setting while wearing my distance lenses, and if I took those off, I couldn't see what I was aiming at -- except if I used the viewfinder, which let me keep my glasses on for most shots. (we won't even go into the whole bi-focal thing.  It's not pretty and involves nausea.)

But MIL wanted a digital camera and couldn't find one that suited her, so we decided to give her my trusty Canon because it still had the viewfinder so she'd be able to take pictures either way, and she would buy me a new one.  We looked for a while and settled on the Nikon because now a viewfinder is a premium option not to be found on cameras under $500.  But it's ok.  It's working out.

Anyway, I still have the vision problem, but my new camera seems to compensate for my usually shaky hands, my poor vision, and my sensitivity to bright light.  I get shots like this... 


and this...

and even this
 It's almost like I know what I'm doing.  Almost.

(you can click on each picture to see it full sized)

1 comment:

Becs said...

Beautiful!

I desperately miss my dead Canon Elph.