Tuesday, December 14, 2010

And we move on

Thanks, everyone. I'm not quite passed the cry-at-every-thought stage yet, but I'm working on it.

Picked up a book at the library called "So Many Books, So Little Time" in which a woman tries to read a book a week for a year, and writes about the experience. I'm already well into it quite unexpectedly, but I've bemoaned my lack of reading so much that I'm going to make a stab at it myself.

Yes, 52 books in 52 weeks. It's not impossible. Once upon a time I read that and more. I have at least two friends who manage more than that and yet still keep up with house, pets, jobs, and lives. I just have to do a little pruning of time wasters -- and I have plenty of those. Part of that will be cutting down on frivolous computer time via the power of a timer. Yes, yes, I hear you. Going to try it anyway.

Got my book list going, too, in an attempt to trim down the huge pile of books I have waiting for me to read them. I'm instituting only a few rules for myself -- I will give a book 3 chapters or 100 pages, which ever is larger, and if I don't like it I drop it into stuff for Bookmooch and move on. If I don't finish a book within the week allotted, I list it as "unfinished", stick a marker in it, and go to the next book. If I really loved it, maybe I'll finish the next book faster so I can go back to the one unfinished. If I finish a book early, I can go on to the next book. There's no guarantee on the order of reading -- I can pick any book I currently own or can check out from the library (I'm limiting -- ok, trying to limit -- what I buy for a while until I pare down what I have) and I can read whatever appeals. No rereads unless I have finished 52 books.

Sounds completely doable at this point. We shall see.

No comments: