Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Enter a Title Here

So, let's catch up, shall we?

I made another stab at NaNoWriMo. I got into a story, just writing to write, and by about 5000 words I was well sick of it. I fiddled with what I'd made, pushing it and pulling it, but nothing would make me like the characters I'd made, the world I'd found, or the situations I'd devised. The premise wasn't too horribly bad -- a young man with a strong belief in science and "progress" (in the 19th century sense of the word) meets up with a long existing group of people who use magic in the same way he uses technology, during a war. The world incorporated a lot of early 20th century/WWI ideas and imagery. The young man had caused the death of a child while trying to sabotage the enemy soldiers who had occupied his village during the war. The magicians, who had lost their political power during the rise of industrialism, were using the war as a way to get back into power.

And I was heartily uninterested in anything about it. Oh, I could have plotted it out and plodded through, but the characters were as flat and pasty as cold oatmeal. Bored. Bored bored bored.

So, I stopped. I figured I'd dive back into one of the unfinished stories I have -- plenty of that. Then I just wiggled around, trying to reconnect to it. Now I'm just struggling to re-establish the very practice of writing. Well, struggling isn't so much a proper word. I'm trying to re-establish the habit of it, since the driving impulse isn't there, and needs to be nurtured into existence again.

So I'm writing crap. It's like composting. You have to pile up the garbage and let it rot for a while. Then you can ladle it back into the soil, plant seeds, and see what happens. Compost takes time to make, though, and you have to keep adding to it. So, I'm composting. It smells.

It's also well and truly fall around here, with strong hints of winter every once in a while. Took forever for the trees to change, but the color is marvelous. Of course, now that everything has caught the hint, it's raining. The trees could be background for Persuasion. Anne Elliot would love them.

So, that's where I am and what's happening. Still knitting -- will have to post a few pictures, I know, to prove it. Busy at the UU. Losing weight (22 lbs down as of Sunday. 80 to go.) Holidays hurdling in. Cats being cats. The Husband still in suspense about having a job and getting into the PhD program he wants. We are still working on turning this house into a home, trying to develop a reasonable social life, and not let the laundry pile up.

1 comment:

Beige said...

Composting is an art that can't be rushed. Hope many good things will sprout eventually.