Monday, May 24, 2010

How To Build Brand Hatred

You've seen it -- I know you have -- the stupid "Punch Dub" campaign for Volkswagen. According to this, it's based on a kid's game where kids would "playfully" punch each other when they saw a VW Bug.

I think it's an excellent way to make people hate a particular car brand, unless they have severe masochistic inclinations. Seriously, if someone were to punch me because they saw a stupid car (which is exactly what kids would do because, let's face it, kids are not yet socialized nor have their brains developed completely, so they do idiotic things) I would be inclined to not only hate the person who hit me for no good reason, but the car that inspired the violence.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Hmph... It doesn't have the same ring to it as "Slug Bug."

I've started playing a new game as I drive where I look for a European vehicle. I have no idea how or why this started, but I now I do it every single time I'm in a car. Fortunately, it doesn't involve punching people; I just note the vehicle and get on with my life.