Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Movie Joy

B&N recently had a DVD sale and I succumbed because, really, we watch a LOT of movies around here, so new movies (or new old movies) are always needed. And, for cheap, I was tempted to get several of my favorite good-bad movies.

Oh, come on, you know what I mean. Movies that are so bad they swing around again and are good in a way never intended by the people who made them. And I have a real winner here.

Do you remember Red Sonja? If you were watching action/fantasy/sf movies in the 80s, you remember Red Sonja. Bridgette Neilsen and Arnold Schwartzenegger in what was easily the best cheesy sword-n-sorcery-n-babes in chainmail movies ever. There's NOTHING intelligent about this movie. The acting ranges from barely competent to outright laughable. The plot is thinner than a spaghetti noodle, and almost as limp. On the good side, the effects were fairly competent. There are a couple of images that actually had some emotional impact.

Don't let any of that spoil the ride, though. This is a movie to watch with friends. It's a movie you can make into a drinking game. It begs for snarky commentary.

Also in the "so bad it's good" category is The Shadow. This one is a little sexier (yes, Alec Baldwin wasn't always scary-looking) and the plot is smarter, but there's still a bit of cheese to spread on your cracker here.

I also picked up a few honestly good movies -- The Blues Brothers, Romeo Must Die, City on Fire. And I picked up a mediocre oldie that I love, Spencer's Mountain, which is good more for the actors who star in it and the scenery than for the plot. Henry Fonda and Maureen O'Hara -- what's not to love? And I have a wee little crush on James MacArthur in his pre "Dano" days.

Yay for movies :)

No comments: