Thursday, February 04, 2010

Reading

I used to read books. I read a lot of books. That's something else I've not done for the last six months or so. Damn you, Interwebinet.

So, I've put a list up over there on the side bar of all the books I currently have a book marker stuck in, books I've started but not finished. I like keeping track of such things, so that's where I'll keep track. As I read books, I'll move them to another list I'll title something original like "Books I Read in 2010". And I'll write about the books here.

I know, I used to do all that on Goodreads, and Goodreads is a great place, but I'm not there anymore and I don't think this time I will go back. So, I will keep track of my books myself, like I used to. If I could just find that software program I used to have...

5 comments:

Lazygal said...

My suggestion? Stay on GR but just don't participate. That's what I do... I can list my books and review what I've read (which is what I want) and then move on.

If that really isn't an option for you for whatever reason, Book Collector from http://collectorz.com. I actually use both: GR for Mt. Bookpile, BC for The Collection.

Glennis said...

I know you have nuked Goodreads before but do you really lose everything you inputted or have you just turned your back on it?

Sherri said...

Already gone, poof. I did try to download my shelves, and I thought I had (I SAW them) but it went kablooey. I'm asking GR if I can still get the data. If not, no big deal as I downloaded my shelves a few months ago and I can patch up what is missing.

I really prefer to keep my list in an offline format. I LOVE bookography -- I can just scan the barcodes! but I can't find my silly disks. I already have a database but I need to put it on my mini computer. It's easier to haul that one around from shelf to shelf :)

Unfortunately, I'm pretty much an all-or-nothing sort. I find it easier to resist being drawn back in to what I don't want if I'm simply not there.

Scott said...

On Goodreads I never bothered with anything but simply listing what books I'd read and my ratings of said books.

Glennis said...

I just never really got into the discussion groups. I'll friend and compare books and if we have a huge amount in common then I might see what you are reading that I am not. But I get so many recommendations from tons of sources that I can't even begin to track all of it. But being able to pull up goodreads on my phone to see what I am still looking nonfiction to read is great when I am in a store.