Thursday, October 09, 2008

For the Benefit of Mr. JimK

The GRE study book says that the test often uses lesser known or secondary/tertiary definitions of words. I was surprised how well I did on the vocabulary tests (of 96 questions, I missed 3, and one was me being purely stupid). Then it gives a huge list of words to learn. Here are the ones I didn't know or wasn't certain I knew. Do you know what these words mean?

exigent
fulminate
neologism
nugatory
obviate
precipitate (alternative definitions here)
ameliorate
cogent
demur
didactic
intransigent
penurious
endemic
evanescent (no, not the rock group!)
hegemony
inchoate
occlude
pedagogy
penury
polemical
laconic
probity
recondite
refulgent
sedulous
trenchant
vituperative
fell (alternative definition)
guy (alternative definition)
obtain (alternative definition)
occult (alternative definition)
scurvy (alternative definition)
abjure
adumbrate
apostate
asseverate
calumniate
captious
celerity
contumacious
descry
desuetude
encomium
exegesis
expiate
extirpate
heterodox
lubricious
meretricious
minatory
peroration
plangent
pusillanimous
sententious
tendentious
tyro
vitiate

I hope I do now.

2 comments:

whall said...

Those some great words for me to test on my 9th grade daughter... She's always wanting me to quiz her.

Yesterday we went over groups of animals... Like murder of crows, cete of badgers, etc.

Rachel said...

I know some of those words, but even the ones I know I only have a foggy idea of. The rest, I would need to look up.