Sunday, October 19, 2008

Confessions

I've been holding out on all of you. Meet Caliban.

About two-three months ago, we became aware of a kitten hanging around the townhouses when a neighbor asked us for cat food for it. The ginger-orange tabby kitten got our housecats all excited. Being the big softy I am, I started feeding the creature, too, eventually getting him to permit us to pet him -- occasionally. We decided as responsible people we needed to see that he was neutered and health checked. Then we'd let him go.

Yeah, right.

He's living mostly in the garage (cleaned up for him) and he wanders outside in the day when he wants (he spends a surprising amount of time in the garage or on the drive by his own choice). He goes back and forth between affection slut and evil attacking demon cat. He's about 6-7 months old now, and I'm completely in love with him, even though he still has moments when he isn't sure about us. But he does come running when we step into the garage and he follows us around outside, so I guess he's really ok with us. He's taken over old toys the older cats don't care about, but we haven't staged a 'meeting' yet. They hiss at each other through the screens.

Ophelia is not doing well. We aren't sure why. I will take her to the vet if she doesn't show some signs of improvement shortly (she's been showing some small signs of getting better, but it's hard to tell with her. She's very lazy most of the time, and the diabetes is tricky when I can't test her bloodsugars myself). LaGuz has been peeing on everything, so we did more housecleaning -- she hates a messy house.

Everyone else is fine and sassy. I'm waiting to see what they do with actual cold weather.

No comments: