Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Theory of Local Plate Tectonic Effects on Driving Distance

The Husband burned a few of those Husband points he earned on Sunday with today's Driving Adventure.

I'll readily admit I haven't been making as many attempts to learn my way around here as I might. Those $4.75 gas prices are part of it. An evil knee and no faith whatsoever in the generosity of drivers on the shoulderless/sidewalkless roads are keeping me from riding my bike or walking anywhere. So, The Husband is the Pathfinder and I follow his lead to find places.

Today I have proof he's messing with my head. Remember the thing about "all roads are triangles" a few weeks ago? He's doing it again.

This morning we went to get our South Carolina's driver's licenses, but neither of us brought anything to prove we were residents in the state, so we had to go back home(I didn't have to do that in Florida, so it didn't occur to me and he didn't think of it either -- maybe Florida doesn't care.) We were going to get car tags so we drove separately (can't -- have to pay a property tax on the cars first. It's complicated around ehre). The Husband lead the way to the DMV on the first trip, going down a little neighborhood road that connected to the highway where the DMV was. When we had to drive back home to get evidence of residence, instead of turning back the way we came, he took a DIFFERENT route.

At first I thought maybe he decided to make a stop at one of the stores we would pass (I recognized the route from our errands on Saturday) and I wasn't sure of the name of the little road that connected to the highway, so I followed. He didn't stop, and he didn't call me to tell me of any change in plan. As I followed, I wondered if perhaps he had developed a compulsion that forced him to make three right turns for every left turn, or perhaps some kind of graduate student paranoia had settled on him so that he could never take the same path twice. In any case, we drove in a big circle from home to DMV to home again. Once back at the house, I cornered him.

"What was THAT all about?"

He stared. "What?"

"Do the tectonic plates around here shift quickly enough so that the shortest route to a place changes once you get there?"

He gave me the "questioning dog" head tilt.

"Why didn't we go back the way we went?"

"Oh!" This was a signal to me that he had no particular reason except, perhaps, to exasperate me and was scrambling for something that sounded rational. "I wanted you to know the other way to go."

"I don't know the way we got there in the first place."

"Well, I only find things by wandering around."

"That's great, but it's more helpful for me to learn one route at a time." (I'm slow like that.)

He rattled off the names of the roads on the first route, then came up with something else. "I wanted to see if the other way was faster. Did you think it was faster? I thought it was faster."

"More traffic and more lights didn't make it seem any faster to me. If we'd each driven one route, then we could compare." We went into the house. "You're just trying to confuse me."

"No, I'm not. That's just a side benefit."


We have to drive to Wahalla to get the tags, probably on Thursday. Oh, and I have my own shiny new library card, too.

1 comment:

whall said...

yeah, I admit I give my wife way too much information she didn't ask for as well. It usually results in revocation of many points.