Monday, March 24, 2008

Hunting

Monday. Today is Monday, right? I am confused.

We spent this morning unloading the stuff we brought up into the storage unit and the afternoon touring a college town's rental offerings. Many offerings were more in the "burnt" category. I took pictures, but I don't want to look again unless I must.

I can understand that, if one is a college student living somewhere for a semester or two and planning to move on to greener, cheaper or at least other pastures, not having more than a 3 x 2 closet in a 10x11 bedroom is acceptable. Rent of under $300 a month being the primary objective, having three people in a teeny bathroom might be doable. Strange spots on the floor, bits missing out of walls and doors, mysterious smells -- ok, maybe these are part and parcel with college life.

I'm 43 years old and I'm not really interested in revisiting my youth, at least not via living arrangements.

The last place we saw today was beautiful. It is larger than anything else we saw, it has few if any unexplained smudges, it has 2 1/2 baths, 3 bedrooms, AND laundry hookups. You can have two people in the kitchen. There are actual closets you can walk into and turn around and walk out of. Nothing smelled strange. So, we are waiting to hear if we can work out an arrangement for our felines. If our offer is acceptable, we have a place to live.

Speaking of places to live, our house had its pre-sale inspection. Nothing deal-breaker-ish -- we need more insulation in one part of the attic, we need a couple of leaky ducts repaired, and apparently the water main outside our property leaks (not our problem, but I will call the city about it when I get home). We will have to get someone in about the attic mice, but since I won't be there this summer when the bodies begin to decay, I don't care.

Keep sending the good thoughts. I have a long drive back and 5 more weeks to get through before my life is transfered 552 miles north-north-west.

No comments: