Friday, September 21, 2007

In The Closet

You might have heard that things were a little stormy in Eustis last night.

It was a long, rainy Thursday. Last night, as we were watching Tim Gunn, it really started to blow and the rain was loud. Then we lost satellite -- which is one of the joys of having satellite. Curious, I checked the weather via Internet since that was still up.

We had a tornado warning in our area. Mt. Plymouth, Mt. Dora, Eustis, Tavares -- they were tracking where the storm was expected to go, giving times and approximate areas. The Husband and I looked at each other, and then, by mutual agreement, we summoned/captured the cats and went to sit in our bedroom closet, as it is about the only space protected enough. The cats thought this was pretty weird. So did I, when I thought about it. I mean, really, aside from the strange intervals of loud wind and silence, there wasn't any sign of the tornado near us. Isn't this silly?

And then I thought about all the shows I'd watched about tornadoes, and I hugged a cat and waited until the warning was over. You never KNOW when the tornado is going to hit until it actually does hit. The warning lasted about 1/2 an hour, after which we were still too keyed up to sleep (it was after 11 pm).

This morning I saw that downtown Eustis, about 3-4 miles away from our house, had been whacked pretty well. So I didn't feel nearly as silly. We're fine, with just the usual clumps of leaves and stuff from a long rainstorm.

Sometimes it is a GOOD thing to stay in the closet.

No comments: