Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Crest of the Wave

Look, I don't read Slate. I don't read Salon.com anymore. I don't read The Onion. I don't follow celebrity anythings. I occasionally count how many times a particular face shows on the tabloids as I'm checking out groceries. I just don't have the kind of energy to weave through those layers of hip-with-itness. I'm old and slow and my cynicism is well worn. So I'm always way behind whatever rising trend is going around. I have friends who do all that work for me.

And they point me to things like this from which I extract an ecstatic little quote:

Sure, it uses the death of thousands on 9/11 as a rationale for running a picture of a half-naked Angelina Jolie. But look, if we can't exploit 9/11 when we need to add a little gravitas to that silver sheet between Angelina's thighs, the terrorists win, right?

If this is one of the dizzy pinnacles of our culture, maybe so. At least I have some vague idea where the crest of the wav was.

No comments: