Thursday, July 19, 2007

Back Where I Belong -- For Now

Arrived home yesterday, and today retrieved the old ladies from the vet. All seems well with them. They are busy remembering they live here and being old lady cats and so forth. It feels good to be with all my kitties. No matter how delightful a visit is, I am at heart a home-body, and I feel best with my things and my cats and my personal dust and debris.

When we drove up last night, the "For Sale" sign was up in the front yard. I expected to feel more about it, but I didn't. I'm surprised when I see it, but other than that, it just means a constant, unsettling feeling that I need to vacuum or scrub something.

We looked at houses in secret location we are moving to and we think we've found a possible winner. It's an old house -- the information says it was built in the late 1800's -- with railroad tracks in the front yard and a convenience store across the street. The yard is sizable with several old trees and a lot of flowers and bushes. The house itself has been through several incarnations, but it also has those high ceilings and big rooms common in old southern houses. It's laid out in such a way that the purpose of various rooms -- except the kitchen -- are debatable.

We'd be doing a lot of remodeling and restoration. It would be a lot of work. The last changes were made, I suspect, in the 1970s, judging from the shag carpet in three of the rooms (tan and orange and sunbleached and UGLY) and the white paneling in one bedroom. One bathroom is dark and scary, but it has an old clawfoot tub. The other bathroom is an addition and scary in that add-on bathroom sort of way. All the fireplaces have been blocked up and replaced with huge , ugly, square gas heaters that are easily as old as I am.

It also has a groundhog living in the crawlspace and chipmunks under the shed, some old fashioned roses, an aluminum roofed carport and front porch, and lots of shade. It's right in the the middle of the little town, so it's possible to walk places. We are paying to have an inspection done before we make an offer, and we'd have to get the house pretty cheap because we figure it will take $30,000 to turn the house around (old wiring and plumbing, and did I mention that scary bathroom?)

We'll see.

No comments: