Monday, May 07, 2007

Changing Gears

I'm getting a new car. I wasn't expecting that.

We've been discussing replacing my current car for about 2 years now. It's a 1999 Mazda Protege and has been very dependable. I call it "Bebe Kah" because I'm weird like that. But, after one front end collision (I wasn't even in the car; the culprit shall remained unnamed because he knows who he is) and 85,000+ miles, it's starting to have those little problems, like master break cylinders and transmission. I don't want to deal with that, not with a Big Life Change looming (the big If Bunny's end is in sight).

So, The Husband and MIL colluded on a new car. Basically, MIL is buying it outright. We just had to find the right car within the stated budget. So we started looking last year and settled on a Mazda3 Five Door. And Saturday, we decided to test drive one. We had a list of things we wanted in the car, a good idea of the price, a fair idea what to expect on trade in, and a firm grip that we weren't really going to buy just because it was there.

So, 2 test drives and 2 dealerships later, we put money down on Bebe Bloo.

It happened that way with the Protege. My old Chevy was just beginning to give warning signs of impending doom, so we drove out one bright Memorial Day to take a look at the sales. Four hours later, we'd grabbed a sweet deal on Bebe Kah (the name of my current Mazda) and were driving it home. Fast changes like that make me feel like my grip on reality isn't so tight (shut up, you in the back.) Somehow, I picture myself a gradual change sort of person, but really, my changes tend to come suddenly more often than not.

It's still a little unreal to me. I mean, how often do you go out to research a major purchase and the exact thing you want just happens to be there? I'm serious -- we walked in to the second dealer (the one we currently use for maintenance) to look at their stock and take a drive. We saw one on the lot when we walked up. It had just been delivered and was still wrapped in plastic. And it was My Car. We looked at the 4-5 others on the lot, but that was the one. After they install the stereo I want so giving up my JVC won't be so tragic, I drive it away next Saturday. It just feels odd and unreal.

Once upon a time, I would have been excited in anticipation, excited while it happened, and excited for days afterwards. Now, it took almost 2 days for me to actually click in that It Had Happened. I'm happy and pleased, but calm. No jumping, no squealing, no hugging strangers. Perhaps I'm cautious about it because there is still a waiting period -- it isn't mine yet, and something could happen, blah blah blah. I have become rather protective of myself over the years. I now avoid the emotional sweeps and falls that once marked my life, prefering to float smoothly through. Even the most exhilarating rapids lose their charms when you are on the water too long.

Anyway, I'm gonna have a new car. I shall celebrate by conning The Husband to go look at seat covers with me tonight. And, I must have a new Hangy Thing for my rear view mirror. That's an imperative.

No comments: