Sunday, March 04, 2007

We'd have Wings

I realize that I don't like flying very much. First, I tend to feel queasy even if I'm by a window (if I'm not by a window, I feel far more than queasy. We shan't go into detail.) I mean, I enjoy being able to get to a far destination quickly. I do like looking down on the earth. The whole process is fascinating, nearly magical.

However, being pinioned into a tiny, uncomfortable seat in a crowded cabin with assaults of major B.O and/or perfume for hours at a time is NOT my idea of fun. I experienced both on yesterday's flight. On the first leg, someone -- we don't know who -- was wafting the scent of decaying Italian sausage through the cabin. It was positively stomach turning and even blowing stale cold air didn't help much. That was the 5 hours between Reno and Dallas. On the 2 hours between Dallas and Orlando, it was flowery, powdery, overwhelming perfume. Oh good gravy, if they won't let people carry bottled water onto the plane because it might be a weapon, why do they let strong body odors which ARE weapons on? I don't get it.

Anyway, all the kitties are well and accounted for, and lavished us with attention by draping over us when we finally fell into bed around 3 am. They have been attentive today, too. It's nice to be loved. It's nice to be home. It's nice to be mostly warm without undue attention to heating or clothing. However, it will be a day or so before I feel normal again.

Travel does that. I guess it's the "broadening" part.

No comments: