Friday, February 02, 2007

Scary weather

I didn't sleep well last night. I was waking up every hour or so, but I finally went to sleep around 2-ish. So, I was a little upset about 4 this morning when I woke up because someone was really pounding on the roof. A lot of someones. And there was this drum and a vacuum cleaner.

Three blinks and a yawn later I realized it was one hell of a thunderstorm. A scary thunderstorm, because this is February and we get tornadoes in Florida in February. One was passing about 6 miles or so north of us. I got up and checked the weather news. It was a good hour before I got to sleep again.

Everyone here is fine, btw. Just really sleepy.

Oh, and now the UN has determined global warming is seriously bad, it's all our fault and there isn't a whole lot we can do to reverse things. There was some talk about ice cores showing evidence a few million years old. Ok, that I can get my mind around. Up to now, although I accepted that global warming was happening, I wasn't fully convinced it was completely and totally a manmade thing, but evidence seems to indicate this is so. We've changed our climate irreversably. I still wonder if climatic change is inevitable and we've just rushed it a lot. I mean, the climate has changed before.

Of course, there is also the American Enterprise Institute wanting to take up the opposite side, saying the UN report is highly pessimistic and that the science behind it is somewhat biased. It's hard for me to accept that they are really seeking balanced information, considering they are funded by ExxonMobile, but the statement made by Kenneth Green, the AEI visiting scholar, made sort of sense to me. He said:

"Right now, the whole debate is polarized. One group says that anyone with any doubts whatsoever are deniers and the other group is saying that anyone who wants to take action is alarmist. We don't think that approach has a lot of utility for intelligent policy."

Of course, what is "intelligent policy" in this definition? And what do I do? What do any of us do? I guess I can make the choice to reduce my use of fossile fuels, drive less, recycle more, eat locally as much as possible, and look for alternative, renewable, non-polluting power sources. The Husband and I have been making small changes for a while now and have reduced our power consumption about 30% from previous years (according to our power bill).

It isn't the least bit comforting to know that my government isn't willing to even consider those things. I understand fears about job losses and economic consequences, but Bush will be out of office by the time the ocean levels rise enough to wipe out most of the East and West Coasts, so I guess it really isn't an issue he needs to consider.

No comments: