Monday, January 22, 2007

Why I am Pro-Choice

Blog for Choice Day - January 22, 2007

I am pro-choice for some simple reasons, all of which are personal.

First, I have never bought into the "pro-life" arguement -- not when I was 13 and a group was allowed to bring all the girls in my junior high into the library to show us slides of aborted fetuses and prosletyze us and not now. What I've seen has been a mass of contradiction. Those who fight so hard to force women to have children have no interest once the child is born. They are not fighting to save a child. They are fighting to have control over others, in particular women, for reasons of their own that have nothing to do with the things they preach.

Second, I do not feel there are "gradiations" of right and wrong. If killing is wrong, then ALL killing is wrong. Killing in war is wrong, killing to defend one's self is wrong, killing to punish the accused is wrong -- all of it. There is no halfway point that says "this life is worthy while that one is not."

Third, I think the decsion is entirely personal (and you may take this as you like). To turn over decision making to another is my idea of wrong. To force others to do as you would like them to do is wrong. To say one thing and yet act in opposition to that saying is wrong.

Ideally, I would like to live in a world where giving birth was not onerous or fearful, fraught with difficulty and trouble. It would be a wonderful world where every child was celebrated and protected, appreciated and nurtured. It would be perfect if no mother need fear being unable to feed and clothe her child, where there were no punishments for not having that child within some artificial set of rules. I'd like a world where ALL life was considered precious, not just certain lives that were unconnected to the person shouting the loudest. I would love to live in a world where abortion never occured because no child was either so severely damaged before birth as to make birth dangerous, no woman's health was ever threatened, and no child would go unwanted or be endangered.

That world does not exist, and it will not come into existance by denying the chain of events that bring a woman to the decision whether or not to abort a fetus. Most women don't have abortions for fun, after all. For most, it is a difficult, frightening choice. Where there are some women who view it casually, I imagine they have been damaged, too, possibly by the same thinking that caused them to disregard themselves so deeply.

I am pro-choice because I believe people must be responsible for their own souls and their own lives. They must decide for themselves and live with the consequences -- good or bad -- that arise. It might make a scary world, but it can't be much scarier than the world we have now, where people seek in every direction for excuses and rationalizations for what they do or do not, trying always to blame or claim protection and justification. I believe that the choices I make I must live with and must answer for to whatever higher power may be. I believe my choices create the world in which I live, and therefore must be made with thought and forethought, and not just to please someone else or because I was told so.

No comments: