Sunday, January 21, 2007

TV Shows I Don't Watch

I suppose it's a sad situation when the only thing on my mind worth mentioning is the news about a TV show I don't watch. I've been following the developing kerfuffle about Britain's "Celebrity Big Brother". It started when I heard the story on NPR, complete with soundclips. Then I read the ABC news story about it. Shilpa Shetty and Dirk Benadict. Oh Boy.

The last I heard, the woman with the biggest mouth was voted out of the house. Others who took part in the abuse and insults have lost endorsements and such. Shelpa has been described as "a bit of a princess" but she's also been apparently trying to handle herself with dignity.

High Art, indeed. Every once in a while I wonder what I missing now that I no longer watch "regular" television. I missed out on Survivor in all its horrible forms, Friends, Sex in the City, Law & Order, all the various CSIs, 24, and pretty much everything else appearing on network TV since about 1993. No Smallville, no Heroes, no nuthin'. People talk about the show last night and I have no idea what's going on. Then, I hear something like this and I feel relieved.

Not superior, not elite. Just relieved. It is less work and more interesting to be an impartial observer who just gets to see the highlights. Besides, there's always Mythbusters.

No comments: