Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Civic Duty and all that

I got a jury duty summons today. Eh, no big deal. I've gone twice before (the third time I got a pass due to health issues -- I was pregnant and on total bed rest). Both times I sat around with a lot of other people in a fairly uncomfortable room reading a book until I was dismissed because I wasn't needed. Not that bad.

I don't mind jury duty. It's one of those responsibilities that go with privileges and all that. This time, though, I'm worried. You see, the Saturday following my date, we leave for a week's vacation. It would be my luck to be picked for a long, involved case. I don't know what I'd do at that point. Tickets are paid for and all. I'm not sure vacation trumps responsibility to society and possible contempt of court charges.

Then again, when I really think about it, I am the least likely juror to be selected. I'm white, I'm female, I'm under 50, I have a college education, and I don't believe in the death penalty. I'm pro-gay rights, pro-equal rights, pro-choice, and a subscriber to the idea that the individual is responsible for every damn thing he or she does. As far as I can tell, this means I'll be dismissed out of hand because any lawyer will suspect me of thinking.

Or maybe I've watched too much crime TV where they interview the jurors afterwards. Those people might be just Joe and Josephine Schmoe, but it's the rare one who sounds rational to me. I get images in my head of 12 Angry Men and Perry Mason.

At least I may get some reading done.

No comments: