Monday, May 09, 2005

Conversation

Among things to note this Monday:

Fascinating comments conversation related to the previous post. Go to B's site for the full goodness. I love this man for reasons, dammit!

I just picked up I'm Not the New Me by Wendy McClure, author of Pound. I used to read her weblog, back before bookdeals and such, and wandered off at some point for no particular reason (probably because I lost the link with a hard drive, or something like that, and am incurably lazy about such things). So yeah, I kinda anonymously knew her when. Anyway, it's on The Pile.

It is proposed that I will have much time to read while at my writing workshop. I am picking books from The Pile to take with me. I am also packing up everything I'm taking (thank the gods I'm driving). I'm even taking (camping pop-up) furniture.

And some questions for the weblog oriented amongst us -- if you keep a weblog, I challenge/beg and plead with you to copy these, answer them, and challenge others with them. If you do it, please post a comment to let me know. I know this is ripe for humor and some of you will succumb, but I'd be curious about serious or semi-serious responses. (I'll answer these myself in another post)

Why Blog? Quiz And remember, be honest. This is for posterity...

1) Why do you keep your weblog/blog/online writing thingie: for fun, for fame, for money, for popularity, or for another more obscur reason? What about the weblog gives you what you want?

2) Imagine that your weblog becomes wildly popular: your hit counter skyrockets, your comments are overflowing, and everyone is emailing you about everything you post. Name 3 positive things that could come of this, and 3negative things.

3) What's the worst possible result you can imagine (short of being electrocuted or having your computer take over your brain, and who says it hasn't already?) from keeping a weblog?

4) What do you do to prevent that worst possible result from happening?

5) List 5 reasons that would make you stop keeping your weblog for a period of 6months to a year.

6) List 5 reasons that would make you stop forever.

7) Describe your definition of a "successful weblog".

8) Is yours successful by your definition?

9) What pisses you off most in other weblogs? What pleases you most?

10) Make a list of 10 weblogs/journal style websites that you wish your weblog/website/writing site was like.


Go on, try it.

No comments: