Saturday, April 23, 2005

You'd never know

I was born in the South and raised by Hillbillies, would you?


Your Linguistic Profile:

55% General American English
25% Yankee
10% Dixie
5% Midwestern
5% Upper Midwestern



Actually, my speech has a wide number of influences, not least among them my Auntie Gladys. She was not really my aunt, but she made sure I knew early on that "aunt" did not have 6 legs. Then there were all the years of watching Monty Python and Britcoms on PBS to mess me up. Oh, and five (now 6) years with the Confounded Metal Orthodontic Torture Devices.

I actually consider myself multi-dialectical. I do speak Redneck. I also speak Basic Southern. I've a smattering of British English and I can manage in both New York and Colorado pretty well. I've not yet been to California, so I don't know if they'd understand me there. People who are from the "real south" (Central Florida is about as un-Southern as you can manage) think I am from Ohio. People from Ohio suspect I'm from the South somewhere, but can't quite decide until a "ya'll" slips out.

Stolen from this handsome fella again, because I can.

No comments: