Sunday, April 17, 2005

A meme, for no good reason

Happily swiped from that Irish Guy


Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Any number of times over my life, pretty much a character in whatever I'm reading for the length of the book. I was all about Lemuel Gulliver when I was 11, don't ask why because I don't know.

The last book you bought is:

I just got in a large order of books, only half of which I have read. I buy books and store them until I'm ready to read. I'll often read one book after another for a week or two, then not read again for a while. Technically, the last book to show up is A Stroke of Midnight (Meredith Gentry Novel) by Laurel K. Hamilton, a series I really can't recommend unless you like a little plot with your repetitive semi-sorta kinky sex and fight scenes. Paranormal mystery, supposedly, although at this point I can't tell, and you need a score card to sort characters by skin and hair color.

What are you currently reading?

I'm deciding right now. I just finished reading Blood Rites (The Dresden Files Series Book 6) by Jim Butcher. Love me a good paranormal mystery. It's an addiction. And I have my usual giant stack of unread books waiting for my attention. I could go in any number of directions -- something Regency Romantic by Georgette Heyer, that Hamilton book above, or the Nabokov I picked up last summer and have staring at me right now.

Five books you would take to a desert island.

Luckily for me, I have a lot of omnibus editions.

The complete works of Jane Austen because, aside from Mansfield Park, they never get old for me. (Fanny Price gives me the irrits)

My annotated Sherlock Holmes


The Left Hand of Darkness (Remembering Tomorrow) by Ursula Le Guin

Sex in History by Reay Tannahill

Complete Book of Marvels by Richard Halliburton

If you are overwhelmingly curious about what I've read, I keep a list online. There's a link in the sidebar to the left called "List of Books". I update it several times a year, depending on how ambitious I'm feeling.

No comments: