Thursday, April 28, 2005

I know what you're thinking...

Can we really read minds? Scientists think so.

Now, this is a subject of huge interest to me. Since I can remember realizing that other people have thoughts and feelings, I realized I usually had no clue what those were, and I really wanted to know. Oh, I could imagine and guess and analyize, but how could I really ever know what someone else was thinking and feeling? I mean, we are all subjective individuals with very specialized, personalized experiences that cannot be really replicated or understood by another, right?

That's an idea I see a lot in Japanese manga, by the way -- that you cannot in any way understand what another person is going through, so all you can do is not judge them. I suspect this is in reaction to qualities of Japanese society with which I am not very familiar, but that's a whole 'nuther topic. It runs counter to a lot of Western thought, what with the idea of "walk a mile in someone else's shoes".

Anyway, this is interesting -- and not nearly as dramatic as my science fiction imaginings. More over, I'm just pleased Mr. Spock gets a mention.

No comments: