Thursday, December 23, 2004

Pre-holiday tension

The prospect of spending the entirity of Christmas with relatives I hardly know isn't exactly filling me with boundless energy. I don't like going places on Christmas Eve, for one thing. My favorite way to spend Christmas Eve is cuddled in bed or on the couch with Husband, with hot tea and all my favorite Christmas movies.

Oh, I've got a load of favorites -- White Christmas, Miracle on 34th street (both versions), A Christmas Carol (the Alaistar Sim version), Meet me in St. Louis (not technically a Christmas movie, but still). Hell, I even like watching Die Hard -- action movies in the Christmas vein are unusual, to say the least.

I will also watch "It's a Wonderful Life". I haven't seen it the millions of times so many people have. I still enjoy it. I don't enjoy as much the multiple variations and remakes. I like Jimmy Stewart and that's it.

I don't know if we will be able to spend Christmas our prefered way at this point, with all the driving and the hours of sitting and trying to think of non-offensive, non-controversial, non-opinionated things to say. I'm tempted to take movies with me on Saturday and sneaking away with my laptop to watch them in a quiet corner somewhere. At least that way I won't get anyone riled up -- I'm sure they will be watching football or something anyway...*sigh*

No comments: