Friday, December 05, 2003

Public Service Announcement

When I decided to create this weblog, I spent a lot of time trying to think up a name. The quote (up at the top of the page) from Gertrude Stein seemed to sum it up for me. "I write for myself and strangers. That's the only way I can do it."

Of course, when I opened up Blogger and started to type in the URL name I wanted, I typed in "For myself and others." I don't know why. It just happened. Maybe I hadn't had enough caffiene that day. Maybe it was a momentary failure in synaptical firing. Subconsious self sabotage. Brain fart. Who knows?

The point is, I can't undo it. Oh, yeah, sure, I could probably open a new URL with the correct name and port all this stuff over and put up a "Hey, I moved over here" notice and all that stuff but...why? Lots and lots of weblogs and websites have titles that do not match the URL. It's not criminal!

I DIDN'T DO IT ON PURPOSE!!!

*sigh* It just bugs me. It really does, in the way having just a few grains of sand in your bed will bug you. Not a serious problem, especially when you are all comfy and warm and drowsy where you are, not enough to make you jump out of the bed and slap furiously at the sheets until every possible granule of anything remotely like sand has been banished to the floor to be vacuumed up tomorrow and you are so breathless from the activity that you know you won't settle down back to sleep for a good 30 minutes and the cats have scattered and your husband is just STARING at you. No, it isn't that bad.

But it does bug me. The title is "For Myself And Strangers". I even have a nifty little logo up there in the left hand corner. And the quote at the top. And my list labels so cleverly labeling my lists over there, too. It's, like, a THEME, a unifying motif, something I think is nifty.

Feh.

No comments: